Time tracking software is a program that you can install on your employees’ computers in order to track their time on different tasks and projects. This form of time tracking practice started in the service industries but it’s now, among other business tools, recognized as an important part of business and project management in many companies of various sizes and industry niches.
Not only does it give you a clean overview of project workflow but it can also be used to track your budget and expenses during those projects. It’s no wonder, then, that it’s slowly becoming a standard practice in the business world.
But as this trend spreads around, the question inevitably arises: What is the best app for tracking time?
In order to help you reach the answer to this question, we’ve reviewed 10 of the most popular and highly praised time tracking platforms on the market today. And we’ve done that by taking into consideration eight general factors:
- Platform: It’s important to know whether an app will work on the devices and operating systems that you wish to track.
- Features: Arguably one of the most essential considerations is the range of functionalities you need your employee hours tracker to have. The most basic ones are tracking time on projects and tasks, but the additional advanced features might make all the difference for your company.
- Price: Understandably, you want your system to be affordable, but these reviews will give you a chance to compare their price to the features and flexibility they offer to get the actual value for money. Note that most apps here charge a monthly fee per user so their price will depend on the size of your team.
- Free trial/free version: Always look for a free trial because that’s the only completely reliable way to see whether the software fits your needs before you purchase it. In addition, some time management apps offer a freemium version for a limited number of users, so that might be worth looking into in case you’re a freelancer or have a very small team.
- Integrations: If it’s critical for you to have a program that integrates with some of the project management or payment apps, then this aspect is what you should pay attention to.
- Ease of use: You don’t want to waste your time trying to figure out how to use the time tracker and then onboarding your employees as well. That’s why your chosen software should be as intuitive as possible. In order to be completely thorough and unbiased, we’ve also included other customers’ opinions and experiences in our evaluation.
- Customer support and resources: You should be looking for nothing but perfection when it comes to customer support, and having blogs, tutorials and other helpful resources is certainly handy as well.
- Capterra rating: To get the best and most complete picture of a particular app, you shouldn’t take (only) our word for it. This is why we’re including average Capterra rating which reflects general customer experiences. Since we’re only looking at the best, all of the systems on our list have a rating of at least 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Before we move on to our time tracking software list, we’re going to explain more closely some of the terms that we’ll mention when we talk about the features of time trackers, just in case you’re not already familiar with them:
- Client login - the ability to give your clients access to time tracking data, status and reports concerning their own project
- Project template - saving the tasks and processes so that you can use them to outline another similar project faster
- Billable hours - time you charge your clients for, time tracking software usually gives you an option to set the hourly rate for billable hours; Non-billable hours - time you spend researching, reporting to a client, etc. that you don’t normally charge for
- Automatic time mapping - using AI to automatically associate tasks to specific projects and allocate the time based on that
Now that we’ve discussed which aspects we’ll be reviewing as well as introduced you to some industry-specific terms, we’re ready to dig in! So, here it is - the list of the 10 best time tracking software: